Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Rockin Sox


I've been on a knitting kick. I've never made socks before, so of course I jumped right in to a sock pattern with an eight row repeating pattern knit top down on four double pointed needles, or dpns, as the knittin' community likes to shortcut.

I understand that the abbreviations in the pattern save space, and that once you have knitted for a while, you don't need everything spelled out, but I am constantly flipping back in my pattern book to find out what ssk means, and how to do it.

I am following the Woven Stitch pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. A note to the uninitiated: check for errata! Don't find out the hard way. A quick visit to the publisher's website showed that 24 pages needed corrections. I've worked as a proofreader, and that just makes me wonder how quickly this book was put together.

No comments: